Shelton History Center Collections
Shelton Basket Company
The Shelton Basket Company began its operation in Shelton in 1911 when Mr. Abraham Lavietes brought his basket manufacturing operation from Columbia, Connecticut to its new location in Shelton. The predecessor to the Shelton Basket Company was a company founded in 1862 in Columbia by a Mr. Norman P. Little for the manufacture of genuine ash and oak splint baskets. He continued the business for over forty years, but Mr. Little was getting older and decided to sell his farm and basket business to a young and enterprising Mr. Lavietes who made many innovative changes to increase productivity without sacrificing any of the quality of the hand-drawn oak and ash splint baskets.
To find out more about the Shelton Basket Company please click here